Seems like it’s a week of complaints… just had to write one to HSBC regarding their introduction of the Secure Key:
I am writing today to express my dissatisfaction with your introduction of the HSBC Secure Key.
When attempting to log-in to my online banking today I was presented with a screen insisting that I must activate my secure key which you sent me. I have not done so up to now, as I have been able to skip the registration process and log-in via the method I have been using for the past 5 years or so, however today I was not given the option to skip.
Not having the secure key on me, I then had to call up your customer services, who were thankfully able to extend the secure key registration deadline until August for me, but this does not solve the overall issues.
These issues are as follows
- There was no consultation with customers as to whether this was a necessity
- The secure key creates a massive barrier to entry for me to access my online banking – if I do not carry it around with me 24-7 then I may not have access to my banking when I need it
- I only have one secure key. To truly make this useful I need at least 3 for me to leave at different locations I may need to be at.
- The point of online banking is to be able to access your bank when you need to. Without carrying the secure key with me I cannot do this. In an age when people are trying to cut down on the things in their wallet/bag, this is just another thing to carry around or to lose.
- I do not want the secure key. I have never been a victim of fraud via your online banking, and I have never requested additional security measures, and I do not appreciate having such restrictive methods of security forced upon me.
Ultimately, no form of security is hacker proof (as has been shown by the recent RSA hacking), so while additional levels of security obviously help prevent malicious attacks, if they are restrictive to your customers then they are ultimately pointless.
I would urge you to reconsider the necessity for all people to use the secure key and give people the option – I don’t doubt that many people will appreciate the additional security, however I am also sure that an equal number are unhappy with this. At least give us the option to not use it.
I look forward to a response regarding this matter – having banked with you for over 8 years I am seriously considering a move due to this, purely to make my money accessible again!
Please note: This has also be posted to you.
Trust i’m not alone in this?! Urge anyone with similar thoughts to write to them about this!!